Friday, February 26, 2010

4. Visual Metaphor



This advertisement for the popular television series "Nip/Tuck" is an example of a visual metaphor. If this metaphor were to be in writing, it would read something like this: 'They are such skilled plastic surgeons that they could successfully remove an angel's wings.' What makes this a metaphor is the fact that there are no real people among us with real wings attached to their backs. This image is meant to glorify their abilities as doctors; placing them at a skill level above all others.


I chose to use this advertisement as an example because not only am I a fan of "Nip/Tuck," but I am very drawn to the ad's design. The color scheme is extremely appealing, and the surrealistic imagery is very eye-catching. It sends a message to its viewers in a concise manner which does not require the use of text. To me, this absence of text is what makes the image so intriguing.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Nip/Tuck's advertisements! I am not an extremely huge fan of the show. I watch it here and there but I think there advertisements are amazing. They're so clever in the way they use surgical tools and other elements to represent the glamour, drama, and style of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Nip/Tuck. This advertisement really does depict the drama and insanity involved with the show. So many of the situations in the script are based off of real life stories but twisted until they're almost unbelievable. This advertisement captures that same ideal.

    ReplyDelete