Monday, March 29, 2010

New Samsung Omnia II Feature:
Swype Texting


I can't help but be intrigued by the design of the new texting feature on the Samsung Omnia II touchscreen phone. While it now claims to be the easiest way to text and that you can send messages at world record-breaking speeds, I find myself wondering how big of a learning curve comes with this feature, now known as Swype texting. Just by watching the commercial for this product, which is included below, I can tell that I would have a very hard time learning how to use it. I would have to ask myself, "Is it worth my time to get used to constantly texting like this, or should I just get a phone that I can begin using efficiently from the get go?"

Then again, I have to consider the fact that there was most likely a large team of designers somewhere who thought this new design would be a good idea. I have to think that there was extensive testing and re-testing involved in their process alongside a great abundance of research and surveying. Researchers hired by such a prominent company as Samsung would, hopefully, not release a product that only they could figure out how to use. Does anyone else have thoughts on this matter?




No comments:

Post a Comment