Monday, April 12, 2010

Clever Billboard

I first saw an image of this McDonald's billboard during one of my high school art classes, and I have not since forgotten it. The design of this ad is, in my opinion, brilliant. The 'Triple-Thick Milkshake' has become a part of the environment within which the consumers thrive. Before this, I have never seen the three-dimensional post holding up the billboard, something which is usually any eyesore, incorporated into the design of the two-dimensional advertisement space. In fact, the advertisement's design is so informative that it does not require text as a main element.
---
Not only is it visually clever, but it gets the point of the product across to the viewers. Only a milkshake which is extremely thick would be able to stand squarely on the cup's straw without spilling.
---
I also believe that surreal imagery such as this is extremely eye-catching and appealing to its audiences because it depicts situations which may not be possible in the real world. It forces them to think about what that image means and what it is trying to communicate.

2 comments:

  1. I love when billboards think outside the box (literally). That's such a creative way to generate attention to their billboard. I used to pass a Pulte Homes billboard with metallic water drops that looked like a sprinkler on my way to dance class in middle school. Crazy that I still remember all of that detail and that you do as well. That's proof that thinking outside the box is effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO awesome. I always knew I liked McDonald's. I think the point of every billboard is to 1. get its point across 2. be engaging and most importantly 3. be memorable. I'm pretty sure this billboard nails all three. Like you said, the image speaks for itself, not requiring any text but it still gets the point across beautifully. Its also memorable, I don't think I've ever seen a billboard quite like this so props to McDonald's!!

    ReplyDelete